Saturday, April 5, 2014

Grain-Free Banana Pancakes

People are always asking me how I eat without grains. I have stopped eating any wheat, rice, oats or other grains. It was an experiment last year that really paid off in terms of my digestive health and energy levels. I'm not intolerant to any of these items, but I have come to believe that my body (and most others) are not designed to handle grains.


I get asked especially about breakfast. Breakfast food is full of grains: cereal, toast, pancakes, waffles, and muffins. Lots of times I avoid grains at breakfast by avoiding these foods. Instead I eat a lot of eggs and vegetables. Scrambled eggs with some green beans on the side. A salad with a hard boiled egg. Two fried eggs plus the leftover broccoli from last night.

But I also make grain-free versions of all our favourite breakfast items.


These banana pancakes are just as simple as regular pancakes. I have written the recipe to be adaptable to any number of bananas. You need one egg for each banana.

Here are some other grain-free breakfast ideas:

Grain-Free Banana Pancakes
adapted from Real Food Forager
makes 3 medium or 6 small pancakes per banana

some very ripe bananas
1 egg per banana
1 T to 2 T coconut flour per banana
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t vanilla extract
butter or coconut oil, for frying

In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer or a strong whisk to mix together the bananas and eggs.
Sift in 1 T coconut flour per banana used. If the batter is still runny, add more coconut flour. This depends on the relative sizes of the bananas and eggs.

Heat a frying pan to medium and add some butter or coconut oil to coat the pan.
Spoon the batter into the pan and wait four minutes. Check the underside of the pancakes, since they do not produce bubbles like regular pancakes.
Flip the pancakes and fry the other side for one or two minutes.
Repeat with the rest of the batter.

What do you like eating for breakfast?


Connect with Simply Cooked on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails